Friday, May 21, 2010

first week in siena

This week was our first week in Siena, Italy for our study abroad summer session. Siena is more beautiful and charming than I could ever imagine. It is a small old medieval town surrounded by tall walls. The views are spectacular of the hills, small houses around the city, and tall green trees. I am in love with Siena and going to school here already. I am rooming with two of my very good friends Megan and Morgan just outside of the walls of the city. It feels like we have been here longer than just one week. Our classes begin at 9 am which means we have to leave our apartment by at least 8:25 for our "hike" to school. We walk/hike everywhere which gives us a great free excercise, but is quite tiresome by the end of the week. I have really enjoyed our Italian classes so far. Andrea is our morning teacher who is very optimistic and energetic. Massimilano is our afternoon teacher who is a little more strict by using only Italian to teach the class. Our classes are small with only ten people in both our morning and afternoon classes. Surprisingly I am not as homesick as I thought I was going to be of course I miss my family back home in Salt Lake, but this is a wonderful enriching opportunity for me to experience. We are trying to set up a schedule so we can talk to people at home on a weekly basis. I have been mising a few "American" conveiniences we are familiar with at home: television, heat, transportation, privacy, my own bathroom, queen size bed, dishwasher, washer, dryer, laptop,etc. I have been busying myself with hanging out with friends and being more independent. We meet new friends every day from New York, South Africa, Australia, Switzerland, Montana, and Italy of course. Morgan and I share the same birthday May 24 which is this Monday, and I am so excited to spend it together in the most beautiful city surrounded by the best of friends. I am really looking forward to learning more conversational Italian and advancing in our Siena expedition!

6 comments:

  1. Io ho gli stessi sentimenti su Siena, รจ bellissima. E felici compleanni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can definitely relate to missing the small things that we take for granted in america.
    especially the food hah

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome that you met someone else that shares our birthday. The best day of the whole year of course. Wish her a Happy Birthday from me. Love you lots and have lots of fun! Love the blogging thing. You can turn it into a book at the end of your experience and it is a wonderful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - now we can follow your posts.
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are anxiously awaiting an updated post, as the time difference gives us a short window to talk live.

    ReplyDelete